10/3/08

I am a Child of God

So, I was at work - in the middle of passing meds...very busy, and one of my ladies came up to me in her little automatic wheelchair.
Her name is "Barb", and I love her. She is about 70 years old. Now, before she had a stroke, Barb used to be a dealer in Vegas. Many of the big spender, high-rollers who came to Vegas would only deal with her. She really made a name for herself. So, she is not in any way LDS.
Barb knows that I am a Mormon, because I've told her about my children, and that my oldest son is on a mission in Mexico. Anyway, she came up to me, as she often does to talk to me. But this time, she asked me "Will you sing me that song, about Walk With Me?" I really had no clue what she was talking about...and I'll be honest, I love to talk to her, but I was busy drawing up insulin at the time, and didn't want to mess it up, or stop. I told her I didn't think that I knew that song. So, she asked again "That guide me, walk with me song". So, I asked her, "Do you mean I am a Child of God?". And, she said, "Yes, please sing me that song".
So, what could I do. There I stood, in the middle of the hallway, (feeling slightly stupid) singing to her I am a Child of God.
When I was done, I asked her how she knew that song. She told me that soon after she had her stroke, she would go to many long and painful hours of rehab. In her rehab sessions there was a lady there who was LDS. They became good friends. This lady had been beat up by her husband so badly that she had sustained brain damage. During their rehab sessions together, she would sit and massage Barb's arms (because they hurt from the exercises they made her do)...and as she did this, she would sing to her "I am a Child of God".
Barb told me that when she would sing her that song, it would comfort her, and help her to be able to get through all her rehab.
She told me that there was something about that song that always made her feel better.
This really touched me. It is amazing to me how something so simple as a little song can help someone feel the Comforter in their time of need. She didn't need to be a Mormon to feel of her Heavenly Father's love for her.
I have a feeling that I will probably be singing that song again for her someday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Julie, isn't it strange how people you care for can say simple things that can make such an impact on your life and remind you of why you became a nurse. Love you girlfriend!!

wendymb said...

I am a Child of God is such a powerful song. Whenever Michelle was having a really hard time with pain she would ask us to put on this CD we had of Primary Songs...and forward it to "I Am a Child of God". It always helped her to deal with whatever she was going through.

Our Very Own Elder Butler

First Day Of School

Our Missionary

giving ryan a little lesson

giving ryan a little lesson

Makenna

Makenna
going to a stake dance

Tyson and Austin

Tyson and Austin
goofin' around

after it rained one day, Austin and his friends went 4-wheeling.

after it rained one day, Austin and his friends went 4-wheeling.
they got a little muddy

the three amigos

the three amigos
how sweet

Ryan...when we were at the Manti Pageant

Ryan...when we were at the Manti Pageant
with the beautiful temple behind him. June 2008

Austin...enjoying a snowcone

Austin...enjoying a snowcone
we were waiting for the pageant to begin

We call this our "nephite pose"

We call this our "nephite pose"
cuz...we're pretty sure nephites used to stand around just like this.

christmas time in front of the tree.

christmas time in front of the tree.

oh dad, you're such a kidder

oh dad, you're such a kidder

here we are again

here we are again

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Our family

Our family

Makenna - 15 years old. She's driving now, so watch out.

Makenna - 15 years old. She's driving now, so watch out.

all together...before Colten left for Mexico

all together...before Colten left for Mexico
look how cute we are

Austin - 12 years old

Austin - 12 years old
We're proud to report that little Austin here (who is not so little...the kid is 5'10" and 12 years old) is just one merit badge (camping) and a project away from getting his eagle.

Ready to go to the MTC!!

Ready to go to the MTC!!